Military & Overseas Voting
If you are a United States citizen living overseas or if you are in the military, there are special provisions for you to register, receive, and return your ballot. An absentee ballot is available 46 days prior to an election. As a military or overseas voter, you can request to receive your ballot by mail, fax, email or the military and Overseas Voting Access Portal. Learn more about the Military and Overseas Voting Access Portal.
Marking Your Ballot
Mark Your Ballot
- Mark your ballot using a dark ballpoint pen.
- To vote for a candidate fill in the oval to the left of your choice.
- To vote on any measure, fill in the oval to the left of the word Yes or No.
- If you make a mistake, you can request a replacement ballot by contacting our office.
Review Your Ballot
- If you vote for more candidates than allowed or if you vote both Yes and No on a measure, your vote will not count for that candidate or measure.
- You do not have to vote on all contests. Those you do vote on will still count.
- Check both sides of the ballot for voting contests.
Returning Your Ballot
Mail your ballot
- Place your ballot and accompanying absentee affidavit in the return envelope provided and seal the envelope.
- Important! Sign the return envelope or your ballot cannot be counted.
- If you choose to mail your ballot, please check with the local post office to ensure your ballot will reach the elections office in time for it to be counted.
Fax your ballot
- Important! To return your ballot by fax you must be serving in a hostile zone. Click here to see a list of the hostile zones.(PDF)
- If you choose to fax your ballot, you must also fax an absentee affidavit.
- Fax number for voted ballots: (660) 248-9810.
Email your ballot
- Important! To return your ballot by email you must be serving in a hostile zone. Click here to see a list of the hostile zones. (PDF)
- If you choose to email you ballot, you must also email an absentee affidavit.
- Email address for voted ballots: email@example.com
All voted ballots must be received by the Howard County Clerk’s Office no later than 12:00 p.m. CST on the Friday following the election.
If you have any questions please contact us at (660) 248-2284.